Nowadays a career in accounting is a popular prospect. Anybody who has a degree in accounting can work as an accountant. The accountant job description has a long list, each of which entails a particular responsibility or duty to be performed. The basic duties of an accountant include the following.
- Formally make accounting records, and verify and evaluate these records, financial statements and reports for correctness, totality and compliance with standard accounting norms and procedures.
- Calculate taxes to be paid by the company and prepare tax returns, by making sure that they comply with the law applicable in the case.
- Evaluate business operations, trends costs and incomes, obligations to pay, and prepare projections, for future revenues and costs or to provide recommendations.
- Make reports to the management about the level of funds of the establishment.
- Classify and summarize the transactions into proper accounts.
- Prepare budgets, maintain and evaluate costs with the budgets to see the variances.
- Recordkeeping to be maintained with the help of computer and to develop an accounting system.
- Make forms and manuals for the accounting and bookkeeping personnel so that there is standardization; direct and coordinate their activities.
- Inspect operations and assess their conformity to ascertain any further needs. Make recommendations and improvements and find solutions to the business and financial problems. Especially in matters of finance.
- Be an internal auditor to the business and scrutinize problem areas, and keep watch of all the transactions and verify the records by test check and sample test. You can also be of service to the individuals in verifying their accounts.
- Be an Internal Revenue Service agent. Take up a job as a proactive career agent, which is challenging.
- Where required, perform advice management about issues such as utilization of key resources for the business and the tax planning for the business. Also keep the management informed of the budget assumptions of which it has been based.
- External auditing services can be provided to business and to individuals so as to evaluate and scrutinize the accounts and records for correctness and compliance.
- Give suggestions to clients on such areas as employee compensation, employee health care benefits and such other personnel matter.
- Provide long range tax and estate plans for tax planning.
- On bankruptcies and other financial matters act as liquidator and give reports and settle dues.
- Take up taxation matters and represent clients before tax authorities, and provide hold up during litigation on financial issues.
An accountant job description provides you with the scope of the career. Accounting work holds ample scope for a person who decide to start a career in the field.